- Muenster ISD
COVID-19 Update: March 20, 2020
Muenster Independent School District
P.O. Box 608
113 East 7th Street
Dear Parents, Guardians, and Community Members,
On March 19th, Governor Abbott issued Executive Order GA-08, closing all school districts in Texas, until 11:59 p.m. on April 3, 2020. As you know, we had planned to close the week of March 23rd so this will add at least one week to the time of closure. The Governor’s order is subject to extension thereafter based on the status of COVID-19 and recommendations from the CDC. The U.I.L. has also extended the suspension of all UIL games and contests until May 4, 2020. They are currently evaluating the status of practices and rehearsals.
We fully realize it presents significant difficulties to working parents. However, we fully support the Governor’s decision and are hopeful that these measures will better ensure the long-term health and safety of children, staff, and the Muenster and Cooke County community.
Muenster ISD will be finalizing logistics on distance learning during the next two weeks (if you need assistance with technology equipment, please contact Jeff Presnall, firstname.lastname@example.org or Debra Sicking at email@example.com.
MISD has applied to the Texas Department of Agriculture to provide meals to students qualifying for free and/or reduced meals to address nutritional needs while school is out. At this time, meal distribution in a sack lunch format will begin on Tuesday, March 24th from 11:00 to 1:00 and from 8:00 to 9:00 for breakfast on March 25th. Meals may be picked up in the MISD cafeteria. More information and guidance will be made available on our website by March 22nd. You will be notified if this schedule changes. We will also take this week to further clean schools and buses and restock custodial and nursing supplies.
Additionally, Muenster ISD asks the community to take the following reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of the illness:
- Don’t shake hands
- Wash your hands regularly
- Limit movement within the community, especially avoiding crowded places and maintaining 3 to 6 ft of distance between people (at least an arm’s length)
- If you are moving around in the community, don’t congregate in large groups
- For those who have traveled to areas with known COVID-19 cases – both inside and outside of the country – we ask that you self-quarantine and monitor for symptoms. Students who have traveled should plan to stay home for two weeks after arriving home.
- If you suspect you have symptoms of COVID-19, call your health care provider for medical advice.
- Keep your child at home if he/she feels ill, even if you think it is just a cold.
- Do not leave the house if you are ill, except to access medical care
This is a quickly changing situation, and we will continue to monitor information, will assess conditions throughout the week, and will provide the next update by April 2nd if at all possible via our website and email.
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we ensure that all members of the community in Muenster ISD stay safe and healthy.
Steven L. Self
Superintendent of Schools