District of Innovation
The District of Innovation (DOI) is a concept passed by the 84th Texas Legislature through House Bill (HB) 1842 that gives traditional independent school districts most of the flexibilities available to open enrollment charter schools, including exemption from many requirements mandated in the Texas Education Code.
As a District of Innovation, Muenster ISD will have:
- Greater local control as the decision makers over the educational and instructional model for students;
- Increased freedom and flexibility, with accountability, relative to state mandates that govern educational programming; and
- Power to innovate and think differently.
HB 1842 does not allow for exemptions form statues including curriculum and graduation requirements or academic and financial accountability.
On February 15, 2017, the Muenster ISD Board of Trustees held a public hearing to consider whether the District should develop a local innovation plan for the designation of the district as a district of innovation. Following the public hearing the MISD Board of Trustees passed a Resolution to initiate the process of designation of a District of Innovation under HB 1842 to increase local control over MISD operations and to support innovation and local initiatives. During the meeting on February 15, 2017, the MISD Board of Trustees appointed a District of Innovation District Advisory Committee comprised of district leadership, teachers, community members.
Muenster ISD District of Innovation Plan Timeline
February 8, 2017 – 6:30 pm – February 2017 Board Meeting
- Board approval of Resolution that will begin the decision process (TEC 12A.001 (c)(1))
- Resolution attached.
- Board approval of members of District Improvement Committee as District of Innovation Committee (TEC 12A.002(b)(2), 12A.003)
February 13, 2017
- MISD Faculty/Staff meeting to discuss merits of DOI
February 14, 2017
- MISD Faculty/Staff Votes on Proceeding/Not Proceeding with the DOI
February 15, 2017 – 6:10 pm – February Special Called Board Meeting
- Special Hearing of the Rationale for MISD becoming a District of Innovation Process and Proceedings (TEC 12A.001)
February 27, 2017 – 3:15 pm
- First meeting of the District of Innovation Committee
March 29, 2017 – 5:15 pm
- Second meeting of the District of Innovation Committee
April 3, 2017 – 3:15 pm
- Teacher staff development meetings to discuss specific exemptions of TEC as it relates to HB 1842.
April 10, 2017 – 3:15 pm
- Final meeting of the District of Innovation Committee.
- District Education Improvement Committee finalize and approve the Proposed Muenster ISD District of Innovation Plan.
April 10, 2017 - Posting: District of Innovation